CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

We are as equal as 4 and 7.

I admit that I am not one to follow the world of politics; I suppose it has a lot to do with the home I was brought up in, which was one that did not talk much about it to spark any interest. I only watch the news sometimes; mostly in the form of 20/20 or 60 minutes, which I suppose really isnt "news" but more of the world bedazzled with some flare to make it seem more interesting to entertainment and mindless t.v. addicted people, like myself. Regardless of my commitment to following in current events, I pay attention enough to have an idea of what is going on and to form an opinion on something other than who has better hair or what party they represent. In saying that, I want to get on a soap box for a moment about the presidential candidates.

Barack Obama- I have to say I was somewhat fond of him, and he was someone I thought would make a very strong leader. Then his pastor started to come into the news, and I felt my opinion change. After his pastor said what he did, Obama's response was something to the affect of, "I can not condemn my pastor anymore than I can condemn my white grandmother for being afraid of black men". Here is why I have a problem with this statement: When Don Imus made the comments he did, Obama was one of the first people to speak out against him and try to get him fired. Why the double ended sword? Why is one comment horrible and the other one tolerable? I do not care if he does not agree with his pastor's comments, it is the fact that he tolerates them. It is the fact that he exposes his daughters to that kind of hate every Sunday. I am sorry for what black people went through, I truly am- no human being deserves that kind of treatment, ever- but how are we EVER going to find a common ground and a world of equality if no one really wants it? Everyone wants revenge, and they remain bitter and if we continue to tolerate these kind of comments and outlooks, how is anything every going to get better? I can not support a candidate that tolerates this kind of behavior from anyone; black or white. I can not support someone who is "ok" with exposing their children to that kind of opinion- who has blatantly showed them that it is ok for one person to say something demeaning but not another. I am not saying that we should not see color and I am not saying that we should just forget about slavery and what happened, but if we never let someone of it go than we will never be able to have the equalty that Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, and other great men and women worked so hard to make progress for.

Parties really do not hold any significance with me- it is the type of person the candidate is that interests me. I do not like Hillary Clinton. I am not ashamed to say that a woman is not ready to run a country as large as the US. In a world full of countries that believe in male dominance, I want a man running the country; Someone they might actually listen and talk to. I also believe that women are TOO emotional to make decisions separated from personal feelings. There are reasons why so many jokes are made about when a woman is going through that time of the month, and I know I would be more prone to hit that nuclear missile button- lets not put someone in the office who is going to be less sturdy than a drunk is after 24 beers every 28 days.

So, I suppose that leaves me with McCain, who will most likely get my vote by default. This is the second election since I have been able to vote, and this is the second election I am finding myself voting- not for someone I necessarily support heart and soul, but that seems the lesser of three so-so candidates.

0 comments: