CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, September 24, 2009

She's Here!!

I received a wonderful birthday present from my doctor this year- an induction!!! The hubby and I went down on September 15th, early squirrely, and at 730am I was hooked up to the pitocin and labor was started. I was still only 1+ cm and 70% effaced, which means there is a good chance I would have made it to my due date and - who knows- I might be sitting here now STILL pregnant. I can not even wrap my mind around that...it makes my brain hurt.

The whole day went relatively fast- I contracted for HOURS, and they were uncomfortable and somewhat intense but still very bearable. After feeling that, I truly believe I would not have known if I was in real labor if I had waited because my contractions throughout the three weeks prior to being induced had been much more intense and painful. By noon, I was only 3cm and when they checked me at 4pm I was still the same. They finally broke my water and I immediately requested an epidural because I remembered how I felt a half hour after they broke my water with Jack and frankily I was not in the mood to feel like my pelvis was being ripped out of my body. I am so happy I had enough sense to do that, because literally within five minutes my body felt like it was eating itself. God bless Mr. Epidural. I toughed it out all day, but I am not into self torture. I do not sit around my family room bashing a hammer into my pelvis to pass the time, and therefore I refuse to put myself through extended amounts of UNNECESSARY pain. Do not get me wrong, rock on ladies who tough it out and are mentally bad ass enough to breath through the agony. However, I have had a child before, and I know you do not get upgraded to the presidential suite in the maternity ward for opting to take on the pain. It felt like it took ten years for her to put in the epidural, maybe that is because I was trying to hold still and try to ignore the pain of my body splitting in half every 2 1/2 minutes. Once it was in and the meds were powered on...."Angels Singing". Glorious...and my hospital provided the continuous drip which guarantees no pain through the duration of the labor.

Around ten to six, my doctor checked me again, and in only an hour and a half I had progressed to 6cm. Around five after six, my nurse came in and decided to check my progress "for the fun of it". As soon as she began to check she said "Oh my, there's a baby there". Turns out I was ready. Five minutes later I was pushing, and ten minutes later little Grace Madelyn Logue was born. I have been so lucky with the duration at which I have to actually push. I hear stories of women who pushed for hours. With Jack it was only 30 mins and with Grace only 10.

I did not realize how truly uncomfortable I had been the last month until I was not pregnant anymore. I feel like a new person. I feel like myself again. Yes, I am tired, but it is a good tired...a rewarding tired. I feel wonderful. Being a mom of two is definitely a whole new ball game, but one that is laced with experience and confidence. I truly believe half of what makes this easier this time around is knowing what to expect. Sure, I am hormonal and get weepy and I am having emotional issues dealing with this mild jaundice Grace has (clearing up nicely, I am just a worry wart)but I feel like I have control this time. Not to mention, having my husband home this time has been the best part- I am not alone. Just knowing someone else is there is extrememly reassuring and comforting.

So will I do it again? Yes. It would be too weird to think that was last time I was ever going to be pregnant or welcoming a new baby into our family, even knowing the last month of this pregnancy could repeat itself. There is nothing like the moment your baby is born and placed on your chest and you hear them cry and get to touch, see and hear them for the first time. The saturation of emotions that rush in instantaneously is indescribible and it is an uncomparable experience that changes you forever. People would ask me while I was pregnant this second time around if I worry about how I am going to love this new child as much as I already love my first. It is something I wondered about, but never really worried about. I love my little girl more than life itself, and with her only came a greater love and appreciation for my son and husband. A mother's heart can never be too full of love, and just when she thinks it is her little boy asks if he can hold her, she catches the scent of her newborn baby girl, or she sees her husband craddling her children and she feels it grow a little more only to fear that one day her chest just might burst.

1 comments:

Laura said...

Congratulations!! She is absolutely beautiful!

I'm certain that my heart truly has burst more than once. :)