CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Counting Blessings

I used to pray for silly things- or things that I thought were direly important at the time but only ridiculous in retrospect. I used to think God was not listening, as I would cry out- literally beg- for what I thought I needed, but in retrospect were only wants. As I look back at all of those times, the times I thought my life needed to head a certain direction or when I did not know which direction to head at all- I thought I was alone. Where was the answer? Where was my instant gratification? Where was the flock of birds spontaneously flocking past me to let me know I was heard and that everything was going to be alright. It turns out, I was the one who wasn't listening- it turns out I had no idea what I needed. It turns out, God is listening- maybe not to the thoughts going through your head or the words coming out of your mouth, but rather through the echos from each beat of your heart.

I know that I am blessed, and I make sure to thank God every night. I thank him for giving me not what I want, but what I need. I thank him for ignoring my pleas, and for answering my prayers.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen, Jenna! Sometimes the things that seem sooo important, things that we think we NEED, end up being silly, fleeting requests that we don't even remember later. A friend of mine always says, "God gives us everything we need and some of what we want." That quote sticks with me when I think I need something.

It was great meeting you at Girls' Night Out!
~Kimberly

Momma Bird said...

I could not agree more!

Great meeting you too! Hope to see you at the next one!